TikTok shares new insight on the importance of audio in brand marketing
Unlike other video platforms, which have traditionally focused on creating “soundless” environments to maximize your viewing opportunities, TikTok has repeatedly noted that sounds are essential to the experience. user and that marketers should consider audio to be just as important an element as the visuals in their clips – if not more in some ways.
Highlighting this, TikTok has launched a new information series that will explore the importance of sound in music videos and provide more context on how and why brands should view sound as a key part of their overall branding effort.
You can read the first article in TikTok’s “Evolution of Sound” series here, but in this article, we’ll take a look at some of the key notes.
First of all, TikTok reiterates that 9 out of 10 users see seems to be vital for the TikTok experience. For brands in particular, TikTok says its research has shown that the brand link and recall increase more than 8x when distinctive brand sounds are used in advertisements, as compared to other elements such as slogans and logos.
This is an extremely important statistic, which clearly underlines why brands need to consider their audio elements, in order to maximize brand awareness and resonance.
TikTok reiterates this, with internal data showing that sound can boost brand engagement, while music also plays a key role in user response.
Again, if you’ve aligned your video creation processes with other platforms, like Facebook, which in the past has specifically recommended brands to create “soundless” environments, your approach to TikTok needs to be different, because sound is a key component that can dramatically increase user response to your content.
Really, your approach to TikTok should be entirely different and aligned with the trends in the app’s organic content. If you want to earn on TikTok, the best way to build for the platform is to immerse yourself in the content that is posted on the platform, so that you can get a feel for how people are engaging with it. the application, in particular, and how your brand message will fit.
With that in mind, TikTok asks three key questions of marketers when developing an audio-inclusive strategy:
- What are the sounds of your brand?
- Is your brand strategically leveraging sound?
- How can your brand take advantage of sound on TikTok?
Again, on TikTok, audio should be seen as just as important a branding element as your visuals, and TikTok describes several ways you can research and develop your audio branding approach.
- Tendencies are the way sound travels on TikTok. Some start off as a simple voiceover, while others take shape in a chic recording studio. Visit the Discover page to see what’s trending right now.
- Music sets up the mood and the rhythm. You can create entirely new sounds, amplify branded sounds, or allow trending sounds. The possibilities are limitless.
- Narration allows users to follow the events of a video or add a relevant voiceover. After filming your footage in the TikTok app, you can add narration by selecting the “Voice over” option from the menu at the top right.
- Add captions – an essential part of TikTok content – so that your video can be understood even by those who cannot hear it.
- Sounds parallel or amplifies the actions in a video. When you post a video with original sound, users will be able to use that same sound for their own video creations.
Think about how the accompanying sounds or actions in your videos might inspire people to participate and post their own versions. Sound that goes viral can bring your brand to a much wider audience.
Some key considerations for your TikTok branding approach, and with more brands poised to add TikTok to their digital marketing mix in 2022, with the app on track to reach 1.5 billion users, it’s important that if you are looking to set yourself apart from TikTok users, that audio is a priority.
You can read the first article in TikTok’s “Evolution of Sound” series here.